The BB-38 Guns Displayed at the Pennsylvania Military Museum
On December 7, 1941 the BB-38 gun 22 (L3) was the left hand gun on turret 1. (The lower turret in the photo below.) Gun 28 (L2) was the right hand gun on turret 2. (The upper turret in the photo.) Both guns were left on the ship during the overhaul in 1942 but were replaced in the 1945 overhaul. The guns were relined and sent to the gun barrel storage yard in Dahlgren, VA, where they remained for the past 50 years. They were "rediscovered" during a recent inventory, and the Museum inquired about acquiring them for display.